It’s the most wonderful time of the year…
It’s also the time when people feel the most desperate and will go to greater lengths to steal your money and private information. So how do you protect yourself? Be SMART!
- Secure your valuables. Never leave belongings visible in your car. Take them in, lock them in your trunk or keep them with you.
- Make sure you are aware of your surroundings in parking lots and shopping areas. If you see something or someone suspicious, move on. Don’t risk it.
- Always know who is requesting information from you. Never give out personal information to someone who calls or e mails and asks for it. Remember that your bank and other such businesses will never ask for your social security number, account numbers and other such information over the phone. They should already have it so they don’t need to ask you for it.
- Review your account statements. Look at the transactions on your checking account statements and your credit card bill and make sure they are all legitimate.
- Take the initiative and report suspicious transactions to your bank or credit card company right away. The sooner you act, the less the criminal will get.
Listen to your intuition and be smart. A few simple, common sense behaviors will help you have a safer holiday season.